INVASIVE PLANT PROGRAM OPPORTUNITIES 2017 (all tools and equipment provided):
Weeding workshops: Join our weekly workshops Sundays 9 -12am (May to end Oct.)… or organise your own group and book a time that suits you…
Join Youth Volunteers on Sundays, 9 – 12am in digging up invasive shrubs and controlling the spread of unwanted species. Exact work depends on the season, but be prepared to work off-trail, sometimes in thick undergrowth. Youth 12 and over welcome. Registration not required but we advise letting us know if you plan on coming in case of cancellation (eg due to weather).
If you would like to book a weeding workshop for a group or need more information about what’s involved in volunteering – let us know. Contact email@example.com or call Sarah on 403 200 7738.
Small group weeding events:
- Mid-June to mid-July we will be removing spotted knapweed along the river. Because of the terrain and closeness to the water (and having to haul the removed plant material out!), this will be carried out by staff and small groups of selected volunteers. Times and dates t.b.a.
- May – Oct. volunteers are needed to remove shrubs missed by weeding parties – i.e. involves extensive off-trail hiking, searching for, then digging up these plants. Time and dates arranged to suit volunteer availability.
Research and monitoring (sessions typically last 2.5 to 3.5hrs; dates and times arranged to suit people interested in participating):
- June, July and Aug. we will be collecting data to evaluate progress of a grassland restoration project. Volunteers needed to assist in measuring the size and health of native grasses in fixed 10m x 10m plots.
- Aug, Sept we will be collecting data on emergence of native/non-native woody species in weeded areas (sampling 20m x 2m fixed plots). Volunteers welcome – training in seedling ID given on-site.
- Sept we will be collecting data on abundance of creeping thistle (sampling 10m x 2m fixed plots)…volunteers welcome.
Volunteer with three or more events in 2017 and earn a free Weaselhead T-shirt…!